Holy Cross Lacrosse 4/23/17

Men’s Lacrosse Loses in OT Thriller

Last Friday the Crusaders traveled to Boston to take on the #19 Patriot League opponents, Boston University.  This was the final game of the regular season before the Patriot League tournament begins.  BU scored first early in the first quarter, but Holy Cross took a 2-1 lead with five minutes remaining in the quarter when senior Sean Kirkpatrick scored two straight goals. However, BU scored with seconds remaining to tie the game heading into the second quarter. BU would score two consecutive goals early in the second quarter, going on a three goal run. Junior Henry Lilly would end the run, but BU would quickly respond, putting the score in BU’s favor, 5-3.  Then, with roughly six minutes left to play in the half Vogel, Mullaney and LeBlond would score three unanswered goals, allowing Holy Cross to take the 6-5 lead.  BU would score once more before the half, sending the teams to the locker room tied at six goals a piece.

The third quarter would see both teams going on three goal runs. BU struck first, taking 9-6 early in the third quarter. Holy Cross cut the lead to 9-8 when Vogul and Kirkpatrick found the net again. Only two minutes later, Vogul would tie the game 9-9 with his third goal of the night. BU took a one goal lead in the fourth quarter, but Vogul once again responded with two consecutive goals with a little more than five minutes remaining in the game to take an 11-10 lead.  Holy Cross was unable to hold on to the lead, as BU scored with 1:48 remaining in regulation.  BU would net the winning goal in overtime to take a 12-11 victory. The Crusaders will look to capitalize on a good final regular season showing in the Patriot League Tournament.

Women’s Lacrosse Picks Up Big Win on the Road

Last Saturday the women’s lacrosse team traveled to Washington D.C. to take on Patriot League rivals, American University.  The game started in AU’s favor, scoring three straight goals to start the first half.  Holy Cross, however, responded with four consecutive goals to take a 4-3 lead with a little more than 13 minutes remaining in the first half.   Minutes later, AU scored two straight goals to take a 5-4 lead. Holy Cross sophomore Baker Earl tied the game at 5-5 with her first half goal, but AU would score with about 3 minutes left to play, bringing the score to 6-5 at the conclusion of the first half.

Holy Cross started the second half strong, scoring three straight goals to take an 8-6 lead. Ward scored her second goal of the day and freshman Emma Gill and senior Avery Giorgio each added a goal. AU would turn around and score two goals in a row, but Holy Cross freshman Bryn Carroll was able to find the back of the net to take a two goal lead.  With roughly ten minutes left in the game, AU were able to score two goals to tie the game at nine goals a piece. One minute later, Junior Kerianne Moran scored on a free-position shot to take a 10-9 lead. AU and Holy Cross would trade back-to-back goals in rapid succession to keep the Crusaders ahead by one goal. With a little more than four minutes remaining in the game, senior Mary Patalita scored her third goal to put the final score at 12-10. The Crusaders will finish the season on Saturday when they face Colgate on the road.  


Categories: Sports

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s