Men’s Hockey Beats Dartmouth, Loses to Princeton

Jack Godar


The Holy Cross Men’s Ice Hockey team took on a pair of Ivy League teams over the weekend, coming away with one victory and one defeat.

On Friday, they played the creatively-monikered Dartmouth Big Green at the Hart Center. The Crusaders opened the scoring early with a Scott Pooley power play goal that had eyes for the net, sneaking past Dartmouth goalie Devin Buffalo. Holy Cross then built on that lead as Johnny Coughlin buried a slapshot past Buffalo from the point off a faceoff. After another Pooley goal, this time beating Buffalo on a breakaway, Holy Cross looked to have a nice and secure 3-0 lead in the first period.

However, Dartmouth came making whatever menacing noise a Big Green makes (does it roar? Who knows!), tallying a goal at the end of the first period to make it 3-1. Then, they continued that momentum in the second, scoring a second unanswered goal a mere 39 seconds into the period. They then tacked on another goal to tie the game at 3-3. However, Holy Cross once again showed its resilience, as a Pooley pass across the crease somehow found its way into the back of the net, giving Holy Cross the lead yet again and giving Pooley his first career hat trick. Ryan Ferrill then tapped in an insurance goal to get his first goal of the season and Holy Cross a 5-3 lead, which the Crusaders would protect until the end of the game to pull out the win.

Pooley became the 18th Crusader to join the hat trick club since Holy Cross hockey joined D-1. Goalie Paul Berrafato had 30 saves, while Dartmouth’s Buffalo did not make himself as big in net as the animal with whom he shares a name.

Next, the Crusaders made the trek down to New Jersey to take on the Princeton Tigers. The first period was a tough defensive battle, as Berrafato made 16 saves in the period to keep the game scoreless. However, Princeton opened up the scoring in the second period, as Max Verroneau converted a breakaway opportunity to give the Tigers a 1-0 lead. Then, Logan Ferguson took advantage of some chaos around the net to notch his first goal of the season, and the first of the freshman’s career. However, the Tigers came roaring back with two quick goals to make the game 3-1 with 10 minutes left in the second.

The score would hold at that until Pooley scored 13 minutes into the third period. It was Pooley’s seventh goal of the season, and the fourth straight game the senior recorded a point. However, Holy Cross’ comeback push came to an end when they gave up an empty netter, putting the game away for Princeton. Despite getting the loss, Holy Cross outshot the Tigers 40-38 and drew seven penalties against Princeton while only giving up two.

Holy Cross’ next game is tonight against Robert Morris in Pittsburgh at 7:30.

photo from

Categories: Sports, Uncategorized

Tagged as:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s