Men Sports Update

Men’s Soccer Falls 1-0 to End Season

Last Saturday, the Men’s Soccer team ended the season with a 1-0 loss to Loyola Maryland. Within the first ten minutes, it looked as if the Crusaders were to take an early lead; however, the Loyola keeper came up with an impressive save off of Joey DeVivo’s volley. Both team’s keepers came up with key saves to keep the game tied at 0-0 to end the first half.  The game remained tied through the 60th minute after Bobby Hurstak stopped a shot from five yards out.

The tie was finally broken when the referee called a handball in the penalty area against Holy Cross. Loyola converted on the penalty kick, sending the ball to the bottom left corner in the 80th minute. Six minutes later, senior forward Matt Villano let go of a shot from from a little more than 20 yards out, but was denied by Loyola keeper Matt Sanchez. The game ended 1-0, with Loyola’s keeper playing a major role in their victory. This loss in the final game of the season puts the Crusaders’ record to 5-10-3 overall. Head coach Marco Koolman was disappointed that his team fell 1-0 on a penalty kick in the second half despite playing better than in the first.

Crusaders Beat Georgetown Away

The Crusaders went on the board first after scoring at the nine-minute mark after Domenic Cozier converted on a two-yard rush. Georgetown converted a 100-yard kickoff return to even the game immediately after Holy Cross’s touchdown. Toward the latter half of the first quarter, sophomore quarterback Geoff Wade connected with wide receiver Martin Dorsey for a six-yard touchdown pass. Georgetown responded with a field goal in the second quarter, but the Crusaders quickly responded with another touchdown coming from Cozier to put the score at 21-10.  Georgetown scored a touchdown towards the end of the second quarter, putting the score at 21-17 at halftime.

Halfway through the third quarter, Georgetown’s kicker converted on an impressive 49-yard field goal to bring the game within one point. Georgetown was pushing the ball up the field in the fourth quarter when Holy Cross linebacker Andre Chevalier intercepted the ball and ran it to the opponent’s 43-yard line. The Crusaders could not convert on the interception drive but managed to pin the Hoyas close to their own goal line on a nicely placed punt.  With 18 seconds to go, senior linebacker Kyle Young intercepted a Georgetown pass to put the game away. The Crusaders will conclude the season in the much anticipated game against Fordham University at Yankee Stadium this Saturday.


Categories: Sports

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s